Mosquitoes reside in grassy patches/lawns and shrubs situated close to human habitats. Their preferred breeding ground is stagnant/standing water. They gather in abandoned birdbaths, bunged up rain gutters, rainstorm drains, swimming pools, etc. Therefore, people residing in hot and humid areas are more prone to mosquito bites as mosquitoes thrive in these climatic conditions. Children are more sensitive to mosquito bites than adults.
And surprisingly only female mosquitoes bite humans. Because female mosquitoes need blood for reproduction which they get from biting humans. Mosquitoes can not only cause rashes and red itchy bumps but also transmit diseases malaria, dengue fever, yellow fever, meningitis, encephalitis (brain infection). It’s best to prevent conditions that are conducive to mosquito breeding. Mosquitoes thrive in stagnant and dirty water. So discourage mosquito breeding and being bitten by the following measures:
- Discard or flip over containers, tubs, buckets, pots that can possibly collect contaminated water.
- Do not keep unused tires in your store or garage.
- Make sure there are no pipes or open drains in your premises.
- You can replace your old light fittings with yellow CFL Lights to keep mosquitoes at bay.
- Don’t overdo when you water the plants in your garden as they might accumulate water and encourage mosquitoes to breed.
- Avoid going to swimming pool during the monsoon season.
- Outdoor activities also need to be minimised to keep one safe from mosquito bites.
- Make sure that your doors and windows are mosquito proof. You can use meshed doors to ward them off.